Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

525i: I was just driving my 2007 bmw 525i, stopped and parked

Customer Question

I was just driving my 2007 bmw 525i, stopped and parked it. Once I got back in to start it up it wouldn't start, it isn't making a clicking noise or anything
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
hello
what question can I answer for you about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was just driving my 2007 bmw 525i I stopped and parked for about 30 minutes once I returned to start it up it wouldn't. Since then I've checked the battery and the wires I have no clue as to how to get it started
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
please note that I am providing this answer in good faith. Usually when a car fails to start, it is because a component has failed, and the car will not be able to start until that component is replaced. I am providing as much detail as possible and explaining things you can try and likely causes, but it is beyond my control to make the car start if some component has suffered hardware or software failure. I trust that my time and robust answer is appreciated.
Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.
The first thing to do would be to check all fuses. Sometimes a very random blown fuse can cause this. Also unhook the battery for one hour to reset all systems. Also, try locking/unlocking the driver’s door a few times using the mechanical key.
Assuming the fuses are good and the battery reset does not help, nor a jump or the key in door unlocking, then there are a few other things that can cause this. While not all can be trouble-shooted at home, I hope this information will be helpful to you and yield a possible solution.
1) bad key - try another one
2) bad brake light switch - make sure your brake lights work. If not, the switch is above the brake pedal.
3) shifter not fully in park (auto transmission only) - try moving it around a bit, try starting in both park and neutral
4) bad immobilizer (aka EWS or CAS) - nothing can be done, dealer equipment is required to fix. When this goes bad or out of alignment, the car does not get the proper signal that the correct key is present, and therefore, the car will not start and the starter will not be allowed to engage.
5) bad transmission position switch (auto transmission only, located on side of transmission, accessed from under car) - this is what signals the car that it is in neutral/park and is safe to start. Try rocking the car back and forth in park a couple times.
6) bad clutch switch (manual transmission only, located above clutch pedal) - this is what signals the car that the clutch is depressed and is safe to start.
7) dead starter/solenoid/relay - To verify, you would need to access the starter and verify if the start signal is making it or not.
8) bad ignition switch/cylinder – also unlikely as you would generally not get all other functions / power to come on inside the car in that case
Of course, it could also always be something totally random like a wiring breakage or problem with the engine control computer or other control module, but this is unlikely and hard to predict.
The best path forward, if one of the simpler items above does not pan out, is to have the car scanned with a BMW scan tool that can check all systems live and determine where the start signal is dropping off / getting inhibited.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.