Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

BMW 750Li: how do you open? broken hood latch on a 750 bmw

Customer Question

how do you open? broken hood latch on a 750 bmw 2006 ???
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hello, This is not an easy repair unfortunately. To open a stuck hood I usually cut the grill fins out. Then you need to use a pry tool, pry bar, and picks to chisel through the covering at the latches on the left and right side. You need to get through the foam as well to access the latches. Then you need to twist the cable or pull the mechanism on the latch until it releases. This is often very time consuming and take a bit of skill to do. But this is the only way to get a hood open when this occurs.I hope this information is helpful. Please provide a positive rating for my help today. Often this type of repair is best performed by the dealer but if you follow the above process it is how the dealer would do it as well. Then the components that are damaged need to be replaced. Both latches, coverings, grill, and cables for a full fix.Best Regards,Roger
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have the right side open and i have the grill out now i'am looking at a vent with some gray foam around it.do i tear that out ?if so what do i look for next ? sorry it took so long. thank you