Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

Z4: i can't get my passenger door open as it is locked and

Customer Question

i can't get my passenger door open as it is locked and it just keeps clicking and wont unlock. How do I get the door open. I have the door panel of already.
Category: BMW
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
Having the panel off, can you try and pull the bowden cable to try and mechanically unlock? (pull the steel inside the cover of the cable by moving the accordion for access)
Check these diagrams for details:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zgf4dbmODzckhZUnBzSDJXMm8/view?usp=sharing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Most of that pdf is about the drivers door. On the passenger side we have tried pulling on the cables, nothing. believe it is an internal problem to the assembly. Is there a way to force it open? Do you have any info on the internal workings of the passenger side lock assembly? Can it be drilled out at some spot that will release it?
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Both sides are the same regarding the lock mechanism.
Indeed it is an internal problem, as you hear it click, so it is not an electrical issue.
But to force open, using a drill, i would drill a hole towards the lock and latch, as if you get access to the lock and latch, you should be able to unlatch using a screwdriver, by levering up the lock at the latch.
There's no exact spot, that would release it by itself.
Kindly get back to me with your findings, or if further assistance is needed.
Regards,
Billy