Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

318 i: what happens when you run 2 quarts of oil in a bmw that

Customer Question

what happens when you run 2 quarts of oil in a bmw that takes 6.8 quarts of oil for a long period of time?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
Just to be clear, are you saying that the car was 4.8 quarts low and run for an extended period?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
running an engine that low on oil for an extended period will exert excess wear and heat on all of the internally lubricated parts - pistons, cylinder walls, camshaft, bearings, etc, etc.
serious damage / possibly a complete destruction of the engine could have been caused depending on how well the oil was drained, how broken in the engine is and how long the car was run and under what conditions - however, if the engine is well broken in, there was residual oil remaining when the 2 quarts was added, and the car was driven moderately, it is possible that only a small amount of excess wear could have resulted. In no way could this be considered neutral or good for the engine, but you could get lucky depending on all of these factors
a compression and leak down test should be carried out, and condition of remaining oil checked at this time to assess the extent of damage that has occurred.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.