Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

740li: , I have a 2011 bmw 740li and just yesterday while

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2011 bmw 740li and just yesterday while sitting with the car on my vehicle flashed a dsc problem and wouldn't allow me to switch gears. After finally cutting it off the vehicle was fine again the later that day while driving it started again by saying transmission malfunction and would allow me to accelerate. It seemed as if it was stuck In the first gear. Also I noticed that my engine temp was at 250. Would the temperature be normal for this vehicle and would you have any advice about the transmission issue. I've contacted walker BMW but those technician seems clueless. I have a warranty but I'd like this issue worked by a competent technician. I'd like the feeling knowing that my problem will be solved and that I won't leave with more problems than I had going in.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
the engine temp is fine. if the engine is overheating, you will get a warning stating such.
the warnings you received may or may not be related, and unforunately neither is specific to the actual underlying cause - they are just generic driver warnings to inform you that an issue is present. The only way to diagnose the underlying trigger of the warning is to have the computer fault logs read from the car using a diagonstic scan tool and then appropriate test plans run
when the transmission senses a fault it goes into a failsafe mode and it locks in high gear, so what you experienced is expected.
the two warnings could be related - the transmssion needs DSC input to shift properly so a dsc problem could cause a transmission malfunction warning. Also a voltage problem can fault multiple systems at once.
again, the only way to get any clarity around this will be a fault scan as a very first step.
if you would like to have this properly resolved your best bet is a BMW dealer as they have the most up to date and sophisticated equipment, and best trained technicians.
if you don't like your dealer, you can look for a third party specialist on www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The temperature is normal in the 250 range?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
yes. that is dead center and a perfectly fine and normal and expected operating temp.
as the question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
this is a quote from the owner's manual of the car:
Normal operating temperature: "the pointer is in the middle or in the left half of the temperature display"
250 is the middle and is totally normal.