Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

S: i just bought a 2008 mini cooperS with only one key.

Customer Question

i just bought a 2008 mini cooperS with only one key. Replacements through dealer are $200+.
I ordered an OEM fob only on Ebay. Can I program this fob to open my Mini?
--Joe XXXX
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Unfortunately the answer to your question is no. There is no way to make this key start your car. Not even a dealer could program this key to start the car.
The only way to get a key that will work is from bmw/mini. Period. Keys contain a non programmable microchip to enable start, they come pre programmed and permanently programmed.
Lost of places online will sell you a key but they aren't much more than paper weights I'm afraid.
Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.