Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

X5 4.4i: my 2005 BMW X5 4,4i light came on says service engine

Customer Question

my 2005 BMW X5 4,4i light came on says service engine soon what do I need to do
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
This light comes on when the car's engine management system senses an emissions impacting fault. This has nothing to do with oil service, coolant level, etc. It is a failed component or operating range out of spec which can adversely impact emissions that is causing this light.
This light is not specific to any one thing, it is only intended to inform the driver that a fault is present.
There are dozens and dozens and dozens of reasons for this light to come on. Anything from a single bad spark plug to a $3000 catalytic converter failure can trigger this light. The good news is that when this light comes on, the car's computer logs a record of the problem when this happens, which can be read out to determine the problem.
The only way to retrieve the fault and determine why this light is on is to have the fault memory read from the car using a compatible scan tool. Once the fault memory is read, the issue can be identified and repaired, and the light switched off. Many parts stores will read the faults for free, so check with those near you. If you cannot find a local parts store that scans faults for free, then you will need to pay to have the memory read out at a shop with the proper equipment.
If the car is still running normally, it is probably just an emissions related sensor that has failed, but again, the only way to know will be to have the fault logs read. Þhis is your next/only step at this time.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.