Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

I have a 2011 BMW 328i sedan. I disconnected

Customer Question

I have a 2011 BMW 328i sedan. I disconnected the power(red cable) that goes to the front of the car. It was placed on the carpet in the trunk. I believe that it should not be grounded as it was not touching metal.
I have tried...1. Using a Jump Box from front + connection(and grounded to frame). 2. Vehicle battery jumping. 3. Cigarette lighter jumping.
Unfortunately, I do not have the key option on the trunk nor do my seats currently go down. If you can believe this, my warranty expired yesterday, so I would prefer to not have it taken to the dealership. I have read on a forum with a very similar situation(only difference was that he disconnected the entire battery(so both + & - were loose in the trunk), but the dealer was able to directly provide power to a relay switch under the dash. I am pretty handy, but the manual/searching the net does not produce a breakdown of where this would be. Hope you can help!!
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to find some information/diagrams on the JBE and from what I understand, the way to open the trunk is to supply power directly to the pin that controls the trunk. I am obviously concerned about supplying power correctly. The wire that was disconnected was the 10mm wire that controls the electronics(and obviously my trunk!). I was unsure if it is a good idea to disconnect it from its connection point to the hood, or just leave in connected(open circuit?)
Finally, I wanted to ensure that I provide power correctly. I have a standard 12v battery jump box. I have connected a metal probe that is fastened with a wire eyehole to the + clamp from the jump box. I was planning on grounding at body grounding point. Would this be the best method? I literally went out of warranty on june 30th! and would prefer to take care of this on my own if possible. But, I do need this fixed asap as it is my only vehicle. I do not need the live phone, I just thought that may get me an answer more quickly. Hopefully someone can help!! Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One other thing: In no way would I hold you responsible for any advice you give me, just do not want you to worry that I would blame you if I did something stupid/wrong, etc. If you have any pictures(if my solution is incorrect, that would be great!