Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

BMW 328i: I have a 2007 BMW 328i. When i apply the brakes at

Customer Question

I have a 2007 BMW 328i. When i apply the brakes at freeway speeds the steering wheel shakes. I have had the brakes replaced and the control arm bushings replaced. The car does not shake when it is moving, only when braking from above around 50 mph.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.
From your description the vibration you're feeling is most likely caused by variations in front rotors thickness. This is not like a warped rotor but one that the rotors thickness is different from the inside surface to the outside surface. Measure the rotor thickness at 6 to 12 points around the rotor face. Position the micrometer about an inch from the rotor outer circumference for each measurement. Thickness should not vary by more than 0.015 mm (0.0059 in.) from point-to-point on the rotor. Have the rotors machined. Since they are new it should not take much to true the rotors.
I hope this information is helpful to you.
Should you have any questions please let me know.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.