Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

325CI: Steve,Three months ago, my horn started going

Customer Question

Hi Steve,
Three months ago, my horn started going off by itself on my 2001 BMW 325CI. This happened a few times where it would stop on it's own or by me tapping on the horn. Two days later my engine wouldn't turn over when trying to start it even though I have a new battery. After calling a tow truck, it started when they arrived. This went on for another week, so I took it into my regular mechanic. He thought it might be the ignition ring(?) and said that BMW would have to look at it because it was connected to the EWS(?) module which required only BMW to repair. I took it to my local BMW dealership in <mountain View, CA and they gave me a loaner car. I had the loaner car for over two months and swapped the cars back last week, because BMW can't seem to fix the problem. They claim they have had BMW of America and Germany looking into it. They have all of the codes and are reviewing to see what is wrong. They are waiting to receive this information. In the meantime, they claimed that the car would start every time with my old parts, but any new parts that they put on it, the car wouldn't start. My car is still not wanting to start every time and the horn is now going off again. I am the third owner, and there has not been anything done to the car out of the ordinary to my knowledge.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, Darren
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
it is very difficult to know how best to reply to a request for "thoughts"
can you please clarify what type of information you are seeking or what question you would like answered about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why won't my car start? Why is the horn coming on?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but I am not sure how I can answer the question of why the car won't start... your dealer has had the car for two months with BMW USA and BMW Germany involved, and can't resolve the issue.
I am not sure how I can provide a solution given that I am not hands on?
are you looking for information as to how this system works and where issues might be?
if you want me to say "oh xyz is the problem" - this is simply impossible.
please clarify.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like I just need to wait for BMW to try and diagnose the issue. I was hoping that you may have heard about this problem before. Thanks for your time anyway.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
if it was a definitively known issue, BMW USA or BMW Germany would themselves know about it.
There are many things that could cause this symptom, and there is no way for me to know what has or has not been checked.