Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican
14969438

2002 Bmw 745li vin: dr06299 I can hear almost like chain

Customer Question

2002 Bmw 745li vin: dr06299 I can hear almost like chain chattering coming from bank 1. It sounds like either the cam moving around or a loose chain. I know there's an upper tensioner on bank 2 but I don't see one for bank 1. Is there any other tensioner
a I can remove and inspect ?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.
I suspect the plastic guides have worn out and allowing the chain to slap around. Only one tensioner. To partial inspect the guides you will need to remove the valve covers and the oil pan, Once you do that you will need to remove the front timing case cover to check the reset of the system
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did some research seems like there is one more tensioner next to the vacuum pump. I'm going to check it before i do anything.