JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs Experience; ASE Master Technician; ASE L1 Certified
31247390

325ci: 325ci power steering stopped working. Worked great Saturday.

Customer Question

325ci power steering stopped working. Worked great Saturday. Pulled out this morning and no power. Fluid level is good.
Now what ?
Category: BMW
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Just want to confirm that you have no steering assist AT ALL. If this is the case, and the fluid level is good, this is likely due to a failure of the power steering pump. It has been increasingly common for the pump shaft to sheer off internally. When this happens the pump visually will appear to be ok, pulley spinning correctly, etc, but when the belt is removed you can literally remove the pulley/shaft from the pump unit because it is broken off internally.
Hope this helps, please be sure to leave a positive rating, as this is the only way I receive credit for my work and time.
Thanks, JP
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 1 year ago.
Please be sure to leave a positive rating, as this is the only way I receive credit for my work and time.
Thanks, JP