Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

740i: My instrument cluster stopped working on my 1998 740i?

Customer Question

My instrument cluster stopped working on my 1998 740i? I checked all the fuses they look good? Speedometer, temp gauge, tach all read zero, can't see turn signals, etc.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
hello
which fuse location did you check?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The four in which were listed on the fuse box for the instrument cluster......I could go look at the numbers again. They all looked good to me? I just took the spare and plugged it in one at a time to these four fuse #'s that were listed.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
those are the correct fuses / location to check.
if the fuses for the cluster are not blown, then there are only two possible causes
1) bad connection
2) failed cluster - since all of the various data displayed by the cluster is fed to it by independent systems, when all stop working at once, since the cluster is the only thing in common, the cluster is the failure
unfortunately #2 is more likely
there is a company called programma inc that might be able to repair it so you could reach out to them, otherwise it would need to be replaced.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
.