Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican
14969438

325ic: I have an 01 325ic. It's running really rough. Sputtering

Customer Question

I have an 01 325ic. It's running really rough. Sputtering at all times. I used to do it only when the outside temp was warm, and it would come and go. Now it's constant, robbing power, making it shift funny. I do have a broken vacuum hose that runs along the left side of valve cover and crosses over in the back. It's been broken for quite some time
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.
Is the check engine light on?
If so do you have the faults, If not thats ok most auto parts stores will read them out for you for free.
There could be several reasons for this from a vacuum leak like a cracked intake boot or a misfire from a failed coil to needing a tuneup.
As for that broken vacuum line it is for the secondary air diverter valve. This wouldn't cause the rough running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no check engine light on. I put new plugs in around 2 months ago, that's when I noticed the broken vacuum hose. I replace a leaking vavle cover gasket ( it still leaks lol ), I figured while I was in there might as well put new plugs in.
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.
I would start by checking for vacuum leaks especially by the intake boot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will that show up on a diag check?
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.
It could if it has been happening long enough.