Kevin
Kevin, BMW Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

I cannot see why I have no power across Fuse 5 on a 2005 Mini

Customer Question

I cannot see why I have no power across Fuse 5 on a 2005 Mini R52 Convertible Cooper S. The car fails to start.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Kevin. Fuse five is for the instrument cluster it is given a feed by the immobiliser unit and car will not start until immobiliser unit accepts key the car will need to be plugged in with diagnostic equipment to see if the car is seeing key and not accepting (it would be key at fault) or weather the car doesn't see key and is a fault from the pick up on the immobiliser unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What if the ign or inductive coil is failing? Would this have the same effect?

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Yes inductive coil pickup detects key if this fails the immobiliser will not allow car to start and likely will not give power to the fuse
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What settings in GT1 are you using to connect to the Mini? I am hardlined with the USB cable, diaghead is connecting but something is not right. Worked fine on all the BMWs I do, but the Mini is being a pain to connect to.

Comments? Also, if the problem was there before a clutch change, and the clutch change was done....would the steering angle sensor need calibrating first, before anything? It feeds to the IKE no? Would it prevent starting based upon that? or complicated the issue? BC1 is bursting to connect on the black/blue as expected feeding into the EWS.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Was this meant for me have I missed part of conversation you didn't tell me you had fitted clutch?