Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

745i: My 745i has lifter chater it drives very well except

Customer Question

My 745i has lifter chater it drives very well except for the noise and from what I understand has self adjusting lifters what's up?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure what your question is exactly - what do you mean by what's up? What did you want to know?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My lifters are knocking I've used additives which helps some but I want to know what the problem is from what I know the 4.4 engine has self adjusting lifters what's causing this is it not getting oil to the top of the engine or what.the engine runs great and has been for a while but the lifters tap constantly.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
This is a common problem. Revving the engine in neutral to 4000 rpm or so for a few min can help. But the only permanent fix is replacing the lifters. I would not recommend using additives at all.
However, this chatter causes no performance issue and no accelerated wear to the engine - it is merely an annoyance. So, no action needs to be taken really. Unless the sound is too undesirable, I would leave it alone.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.