Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years Fixing Cars and Trucks
7276279

High and pulsating Idle 2004 mini cooper

Customer Question

changed the clutch in my 2004 mini cooper and now it has and idle problem. At first it was idling high so I looked for vacuum leaks and found a crack in the intake air boot. I replaced the boot and all the codes except one went away the check engin light was going on and off and now the idle goes up and down. The code that shows now is 1242

Category: BMW
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here

The problem you are having with the idle surging may be caused by sludge build up in the throttle body. Try disconnecting the negative battery cable and then take some carb cleaner and a soft cloth and give the TB a good cleaning. After doing so, reconnect the cable and start the engine and allow it to idle for a 15 to 20 minuets to allow the PCM to re-learn the closed throttle values. Let me know if this does not solve the problem and we can work from there if need be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Ron for responding. This is the longest I ever waited for a response. I couldn't wait any longer so I took the car to a shop and they fixed the problem.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Glad to hear you got it resolved and Im sorry for the delay. Thank you as well.