Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

328i (e36): I have an e36 sedan and need to replace the longitudinal

Customer Question

I have an e36 sedan and need to replace the longitudinal drive motor for the driver's seat. I see a link to instructions that is supposed to contain instructions for "additional work for cars with defective longitudinal drive" but clicking the link leads to a message that the file was removed. The seat is pretty far back so I can get to the front mounting bolts but I cannot get to the back bolts. Suggestions?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What is the last 7 digits of the vin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the last 7 digits of the vin = AV61436

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I have submitted an offer which I think you will find appealing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already paid $26 via paypal. Isn't that enough?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
you have asked for suggestions and I am offering a detailed pdf of proprietary bmw repair instructions as an above and beyond offer for a fair incremental charge.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
what is the link you are currently looking at?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I accept, will that be the end of it or will there be a continuing stream of other requests for more money. This is beginning t sound like a scam. I thought the initial idea was to pay you a $5 good faith deposit and the balance of the $26-5 = $21 if satisfied. As see it now there is a $26 deposit and so far I have nothing in return.I will look to see if I can find that link again but since you seem to think you have the info I don't quite understand why you want the link. Will you agree to give me the info and in return I will give a best effort to find the link again?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Please decline the additional offer and post the link so that I can quickly find exaclty the repair instruction by number rather than combing through the clunky bmw database.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see any way to declne the additional offer. The only choice is accept. Also the nonworking link I found was on bimmerforum.com. I don't think it was a bmw site.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time from the deposit that you have paid
I have uploaded the instructions
when you open the link, you then need to press download to save the file to your own PC
here is the link: https://app.box.com/s/zxv66k3jj2g5vy87lbhvzi1eqp08174c and then press download
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The instructions you provided seem like they might work except that the front tilt motor and gearing block access to the longitudinal seat motor. How do you remove this stuff to get access to the longitudinal motor? It seems like this might be difficult.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
are you now asking for instructions to remove those parts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Since your goal is to provide an HONEST answer, I expected that you would give complete answer on how to replace the motor.That would include the whole job which apparently includes R&R the front tilt motor and anything else that would be involved in getting access to replace the longitudinal motor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, the info Steve provided was of no use whatsoever. I was able to figure something else out for myself and completed the replacement of the motor. My approach did not require removing the front tilt motor and gear assembly like I thought I might need to do.

I do not wish to ask another question nor do I wish to consult another "Expert"