Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Convertible: Shifter won't go into 3rd gear, except when stopped.

Customer Question

Shifter won't go into 3rd gear, except when stopped. What is it likely to cost to repair? Tampa FL
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

if you are lucky, and somehow this turns out only to be a problem with the shift linkage (which is unlikely, unfortunately) then you will be looking at a few hundred dollars.

more likely, the transmission will need to be opened and you will be looking at more in the $1000 range.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If linkage. How is it fixed. Also is there transmission fluid and is there a reservoir that can be filled or is it sealed?

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating

it is fixed by replacing the bushings and shift linkage.

this is definitely not a fluid issue.

as the original question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating