Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

X5: I own a BMW X5 4.8i 2008 with 120,000KM. On the highway,

Customer Question

I own a BMW X5 4.8i 2008 with 120,000KM. On the highway, after hitting a pot hole, I got the Level Control System Fault message. Visual inspection showed the rear left side of the car lower than the right side (estimated from the distance between the left tire to the car). What is the most likely cause?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
On your vehicle there is a ride height sensor at each wheel. If the sensor arm or link is broken it will cause the height to be improper. Since it hit a pothole that is the most likely fault. If the vehicle is lifted in the air it should be easy to see if the link or arm is broken.