Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2006 650i with over 100K miles. It is now blowing

Customer Question

I have a 2006 650i with over 100K miles. It is now blowing white smoe after warming and idle. I have read on line many times that this may be a valve guide stem issue. Aggre? f this is the case then it will cost more than the car is actually worth. what are the alternatives??
Category: BMW
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today..That sounds like it may be the head gasket, (white smoke), which is still rather expensive to repair. Either way, (valve job) the only other option would be to try some block sealer in it, such as 'bearin seal' or 'blue devil'. . The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases. . Block tester available is: Napa BK.(###) ###-#### ***** Tester AUTOZONE Part Number:27145 http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search .*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures*** ... If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust. If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head. ..Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here..
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry but the original answer is wrong

the issue is the valve seals as you were told

there is no alternative but replacement, unfortunately.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
this is a very common problem on this engine when it reaches high milage - after prolonged idling oil will start to burn off when you pull away due to leaking valve seals
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
there is a company that made a special tool to make the fix less time consuming, but normally shops do not pass on much of the savings to the customer,
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I would consider trading the car if you can
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
please let me know if you have further questions. please do not forget to select a positive rating on my answer as that is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Steve, thank you very much for your reply, I am not sure if you were the one that said traded if I can but if you saw the car the fit and finish on the car is immaculate. The trade-in value on the car would be less than $8000. For me to replace that kind of vehicle with a similar vehicle with that kind of curb appeal would be ridiculous. The engine runs strong and the compression is good and I realize it is probably headed for bad problems so maybe I want to get it fixed as opposed to replacing the car. You have made a couple of good suggestions and I will consider those and I do have a good mechanic here so I was trying to get a couple more months simply to figure out what else needs to be done with my heads are off. An alternative could be a strong engine replacement and I am speaking to a company that reconditions engines and then takes them on trade-in. That seems to be cheaper then The valve job.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
the car will not likely become less expensive to own over time, but if you prefer to keep it given its condition and replacement cost, then that is a fine decision
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
please let me know if you have further questions. please do not forget to select a positive rating on my answer as that is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer./
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve, I finally realized that I had colliding opinions from you and someone named Jerry. Your response was "the car will not likely become less expensive to own over time, but if you prefer to keep it given its condition and replacement cost, then that is a fine decision". The car was never expensive to own and I did not come on here to be told to trade it and that it may be a fine decision if I don't. I was aware of those options prior to forking out $25 a month. That is why I was seeking the advice of "an expert mechanic". So your advice is go get the valves done or trade it. OK, thanks

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

the other answer is flatly incorrect.

the valves are a very common problem and known on this engine. the other answer provided was a generic answer that could apply to any car that is smoking. a 650 that smokes after idling is a valve seal propblem, period.

yes, my advice is to get the valves done (fix it) or to consider trading it if you dont want to make that kind of investment (which you initially indicated you did not want to). if you prefer to get a replacement engine rather than a valve job then that is essentially equivilent to fixing

if you review your original post, you asked what the alternatives were. there are only two alternatives - fix the valve seals (either by having them replaced or replacing the engine) or trading the car. there is no alternative where this issue is resolved otherwise.

this car can be hugely expensive to own over 100k, and I was sharing this with you a friendly gesture. If you did not want this advice then please disregard. Usually customers like to have more information than less, which is why I offered this info to you.

please let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating on my answer so that I receive proper credit for my time and correct answer.