Master Tech Lee
Master Tech Lee, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  36 Years Certified BMW Diagnostic Repair Technician
28531106

325i: I need help in removing the steering wheel and shift

Customer Question

I need help in removing the steering wheel and shift knob, both are worn and I would like to send to a shop for reclothing.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Master Tech Lee replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to justanswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX online automotive technician. I am reading your comments. I will be right with you. Thank You, Leon

Do you have the sport steering wheel?

The first step is to remove the air bag:

32 34 020 Removing and installing replacing airbag unit

Warning!!

Observe the following instructions to avoid any risk of injury by the airbag unit.

- Comply with safety regulations for handling components with gas generators.

- Do not exert any force on the airbag unit.

- Use only specified tools for releasing the airbag unit.

Note: Incorrect handling may result in triggering of the airbag unit and thereby

cause serious injury.

Important!

Steering wheel must be replaced if airbag unit has been triggered!

Follow procedure after airbag triggering.

Necessary preliminary tasks:

• Disconnect battery negative lead

Image 1

Insert Ton screwdriver (120) roughly straight from below into opening on reverse side

of steering wheel up to stop (approx. 5.5 cm).

Swing Ton screwdriver (120) with handle sideways until airbag unit is unlocked.

Repeat procedure on other side.

Installation:

Make sure electrical lead is correctly positioned.

Snap airbag unit with uniform pressing force plane-parallel in direction of steering

column shaft into steering wheel.

Warning!

Danger of injury!

Airbag unit may only be set down with the airbag itself facing upwards.

Image 2 tilt airbag unit towards rear.

Disconnect plug connection and remove airbag unit.

Necessary preliminary tasks:

- Remove airbag unit See: Removing and Installing & Replace in Airbag Unit

Image 1

Move wheels steering wheel into straight-ahead position.

Release screw and remove steering wheel.

Installation:

Align steering wheel using marking (1) to steering column and attach.

Make sure connecting lead(s) is/are correctly laid.

Tightening torque 32 33 lbs.

graphic

Note:

Do not twist grip knob when removing as the turning lock in the knob will shear off.

Pull off grip knob with a firm tug in direction of arrow.

Installation:

Fit grip knob on shift lever, align and press on until it can be felt to snap into place.

Thank you, Leon

graphic

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your repairs.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The steering wheel disassembly sounds confusing, can you clarify the motion to be made with the screwdriver and the type of screwdriver that is described in the procedure?

This is a six speed manual trans, so i just want to confirm that I pull straight up on the knob to removed..?

Sorry about that, my editing program switched some of the words, and I did not catch it.

Insert Torx screwdriver (Size T20) roughly straight from below into opening on the reverse side of the steering wheel up to stop (approx. 5.5 cm). Swing Torx screwdriver (Size T20) with handle sideways until the airbag unit is unlocked. Repeat procedure on other side.

Click Here

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Respectfully you forgot to comment on the second part of my last statement to you about the shift knob, thanks...

This is all I see in our correspondence. Perhaps I did not get your message about the shift knob besides what I sent to you, above, on how to remove it. Please let me know what you need to know about the shifter?

How are you making out?

Regards,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

This is a six speed manual trans, so i just want to confirm that I pull straight up on the knob to remove..?

I should have asked, very sorry.

Here you go:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9_YIn2J4Rx0YnRrdlJPNHZ6Zk0/edit?usp=sharing

Best Regards,