BMWDoc
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with BMW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

can i get a three litter turbodiesel out of 335d car program

can i get a three litter turbodiesel out of 335d car program to use in small motorhome to replace a 524 bmw diesel

BMWDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

BMWDoc :

I'll start with this. A person can adapt any engine to any platform, with the limitation either being that person's wallet or fabrication skills

BMWDoc :

In this case, it gets even more complicated due to electronics, considering that your small motorhome is likely a bit older, so there's no easy way to adapt the 335d engine/transmission to the existing instrument cluster

BMWDoc :

that's a massive hurdle.

BMWDoc :

Even more so than the mechanical fabrication

Customer:

we do not need the transmision program, since is a manual shif transmision

BMWDoc :

understood, but you'll need to custom program the engine, as there is no off-the-shelf tune to do what you need to do

BMWDoc :

still with me?

Customer:

we can obtain instrument cluster if this will be a help, the engine is 2.4 bmw in a 3 litler bmw basicle the seam fisico size, so what procedure we need to do to get it done

BMWDoc :

There is no printed procedure of any sort to perform a swap such as this. It would be similar to asking how to make a sculpture. You will need to design motor mounts, exhaust manifolds, steering and coolant hoses and lines....

BMWDoc :

get the instrument cluster from the donor car

BMWDoc :

Custom program the engine ECU to the cluster, and to the existing transmission

BMWDoc :

Program the existing transmission control module to communicate with the engine control module...

BMWDoc :

I do understand that the two engines are similar in size, but all of this work will still have to be done

Customer:

we can handel the insolation of the engine motor mounts transmiton etc. local bmw dealer say engine must be in the vehicle the it was desig for in order to program the engine, what we need to know is how to get the engine program once we have all the insolation done, we have the ecu electronic control the belongs to the engine

BMWDoc :

If you have the engine ecu AND instrument cluster that came out of the donor car, then the BMW dealer should be able to program this. There is no other way without using the BMW factory scan tool, to program.

BMWDoc :

There are aftermarket tuning companies out there who may be able to bypass the security lockouts, but you will have to contact them directly

BMWDoc :

Possibly these folks: http://procedetuning.com/

BMWDoc :

and finally, these folks: http://www.activeautowerke.com/

Customer:

you been very helpfull we may swich to the 2 litler vw engine insted of the bmw engine, thanks a lot

Very glad to help! Please let me know if I can help in the future