internal88
internal88, BMW Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Automotive Engineering Degree and also work for an Automotive engineering company since 2003.
63512786

325ci: How easy is it to adjust handbreak cable on my bmw and

How easy is it to adjust handbreak cable on my bmw and do you have something on how to do it

internal88 :

Hello.

internal88 :

I'm going to give you the factory instruction. Hold on...

internal88 :

Adjustments

Adjusting handbrake
Perform inspection in the following manner:
When 1st tooth is engaged, no braking effect should b present.
The difference on wheel circumferential forces (left / right wheel) must not deviate from larger value by more than 30% (measured on the roller test rig).
In event of larger deviations of wheel circumferential force: Carry out readjustment.
It should be possible to hold vehicle with handbrake.
The handbrake must be readjusted whenever the actuation stroke is greater than 10 teeth.

Note: Handbrake can only be adjusted correctly if handbrake cables and all moving parts of handbrake move easily and function correctly.
Basic handbrake adjustment is necessary when:

• Replacing handbrake shoes.

• Replacing brake disks.

• Resetting adjustment unit.

• Excessive actuation stroke (10 teeth).

• Replacing handbrake Bowden cables.

internal88 :

Click on the link for picture.

internal88 :

You can adjust the hand brake lever by simply adjust the nut underneath the hand brake.

internal88 :

There are two nuts that can be adjusted using an open-end wrench.

internal88 :

Adjust the hand lever while the level is down not up.

internal88 :

Here is a tip: There is a star adjustment behind the rear rotors. The star adjustment can expand the e-brake shoe. Make sure it is smooth and it's not rust out.

internal88 :

If the rear brake are OK. Remove the center console so you have access to the hand brake. Now move back to the cockpit of the car. Finally, pull up on the hand brake so that the ratchet clicks through four notches. Now, tighten up the cables using the nuts at the bottom of the handbrake lever. Tighten each of these nuts to the point where there is just a bit of slight resistance each respective wheel. Now, release the lever and verify that the wheels turn freely. The brake discs should be free to rotate with the handle in the down position, but fully locked by the time that the handbrake is pulled up a few notches past the four clicks.

internal88 :

A shop will charge you half a hour to adjust the hand brake.

internal88 :

Let me know if you have further questions, thanks.