internal88
internal88, BMW Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Automotive Engineering Degree and also work for an Automotive engineering company since 2003.
63512786

325ci: Can you tell me please the most common faults I may

Can you tell me please the most common faults I may come across with my bmw 325ci petrol 2001 with it coming upto nearly a 140'000 on the clock please

internal88 :

Hello, I'm Brandon.

internal88 :

I could help you with this.I have been working in a BMW shop for over 15 years.

internal88 :

The common problems with the 2000 3 series is the window regulators. They tend to fail without any warning and have been replacing many regulators in these vehicles.

Ball joints they tend to fail around this mileage. This is also a wear and tear items therefore if it is worn out, you should inspect the front-end suspension.

Radiator crack at the seem.

internal88 :

The sub-frame bushing worn out and crack the rear chassis. This is an expensive fix because the repair is to reinforce the chassis.

internal88 :

The Air / oil seperator tend to crack on the tubing and create heaving smoke when start up.

internal88 :

Check out the cylinder head gasket is OK.

internal88 :

You could do a check the cylinder head gasket by checking the coolant condition. The coolant should be green and not milky color. The coolant should not been bubbling when engine is idling. The exhaust should not have white steam coming out. This is one of the most important thing to check.

internal88 :

I have seen many vehicles come in overheated.

internal88 :

The driveshaft coupling also a common issue with older 3 series.

internal88 :

I will be online until 5 pm today. Please let me know if you have further questions.

internal88 :

I'm going to switch to QA mode.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What are the signs the head gasket is going Brandon
Good morning Ben,
The common signs are the following: 1.open up the coolant reserve tank and start the car. If you see a lot of bubbles shooting up constantly during idle. 2. White stream of exhaust smoke from the exhaust 3. Milky color brownish and whitish color in the coolant 4. Bad engine compression test but this will take some time to do. Usually I do the first 3 tests to see if the head gasket is ok.
Brandon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Brandon awesome will do also my hand break is coming fully up are you able to tighten the cable or will it possible have to be replaced an how much do you recommend I shouldn't pay over a certain price what would you say is a fair price for repair or replace buddy

You are welcome Ben.
I have already reply back to you regarding to hand brake instruction.
It's not that difficult to adjust the cable. It will take a tech half a hour to adjust the hand brake cable. It is very rare the cable needs to be replaced. Most of time it just need an adjustment to fix it. If it really needs to be replace that labor for both rear will take 2.5 hours of labor the parts will cost $60.
Its straight forward to adjust. Make sure the car is level so it won't roll. 1. Remove the center console. 2 pull the hand brake 3. You will see two nut 4. use a wrench to adjust the two nuts. 5. Ideally you want to hand brake to click 4 times to stop the car.