Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

BMW 335I: my coolant light came on, then went off. I drove

my coolant light came on, then went off. I drove to my destination, and then bought some cooloant and added. While driving home the coolant light came on again, then the yellow temp light came,went off, came bak on on then it went to red. I pulled over, let the car cool down, put the remainder of collant in. Before i got home the same coolant light, yellow light red light, happened.pulled over bought more coolant, filled it up. I looked under the car and the coolant appeared to be leaking pretty bad. Made it home with no red coolant light. Im going to have it towed in tomorrow. I would like to know possible diagnosis here. Thanks

eurotec :

Hi, my name isXXXXX are a number of possibilities for this type of problem. If coolant is leaking from under the motor a cooling system pressure test will need to be performed in order to locate the source of the leak. Some common problems are a leak at the radiator or the coolant expansion tank or at one of the cooling system hoses. If the coolant is only leaking when excessive pressure builds up the problem may be a fault with the electric water pump or with the engine thermostat. The car should be connected to the BMW tester to check for any fault codes stored. I would expect a 1 hour diagnostic charge to check the cooling system. A radiator replacement is approximately $600, a new thermostat is approximately $350 and a new water pump is approximately $900. Cooling hoses vary in price and are usually in the $200 - $300 range. A coolant expansion tank is approximately $300. There are a lot of possibilities and the cooling system pressure test will need to be performed to determine if there is a leak in the system or whether the fault is with the water pump or thermostat.

eurotec :

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Hi Tim, it looks like my answer may not have gone through in chat mode. I've switched the question to Q&A mode and reposted it below.

eurotec :

eurotec :

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I only drove like 30 seconds with the red temp light on, and the engine never smoked or turned off, what r the chances of a head gasket crack. or engine block truble

Hi Tim, I would say that the chances are very slim that you caused any damage to the engine.