Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. former shop owner, diagnostics, driveability tech
2947720

BMW 325i: On a one hour drive on a very rainy day, got two

On a one hour drive on a very rainy day, got two (red) flickers of the battery warning light. drove another 40 minutes with no problems. got home, car just barely started 90 minutes later...shut it down and it would not start again (click, click, click sound from the starter). Next morning, started up okay, let it run for 15 minutes with the lights and A/C on, no warning lights, engine ran smooth and easy, as usual, revs stable.... Shut if off, would not start again (click, click, click sounds). Anyway, battery should be good, only 3 years old. Wondering if it's the alternator, voltage regulator, or grounding issues(?). Would appreciate any thoughts or ideas. Thank you, WW

Super mechanic :

Hello and welcome, Super mechanic here. Thank you for trusting us with your vehicle concerns, I will do my best to help you with your question.

Super mechanic :

Do you know what the voltage is at the battery?

Super mechanic :

Also, if the alternator is putting out any voltage?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to see if i can jump start it and get the voltages.

Ok, let me know how it does, thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

battery is 13.5 after charging for 30 mins at start....immediately decreases...have to remove the air cleaner to get the Alt voltages

Ok, you can also check the voltage at the battery, if it is under 14 or so then the alternator is not charging.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

couldn't get a reading off the alternator; the battery charges up fine and will hold a charge between starts but drains as soon as the car is started, so looks like the alternator.

Yes, that is most likely, if the voltage goes down when the engine is running.
.

..

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

.

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks much, this was helpful!

Your welcome and come again, anytime, thanks

.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, if you need any more on it, I will be here.

Hello WW, Super mechanic here. I was just wondering how your vehicle is and wanted to see if you may need any more on it.