Brendan Block
Brendan Block, BMW Technician
Experience:  I have been a BMW Technician for nearly 10 years and specialize in engine conversions, brake upgrades and race car preparation.
74228754

BMW: E46 325i 2004 car goes into limp mode and these the

E46 325i 2004

car goes into limp mode and these the codes I'm getting from the EGS module and DME module

DME* -> 299A/E8 - Error managment EGS

EGS -> 37/20 - Gear check 5
91/20 - CAN Moment reduction
36/80 - Gear check 4

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

have you cleared the codes to see if they come back?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes cleared them 3 times and cane back

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

unfortunately these codes are not definitive, they may point to an egs failure, internal transmission slippage, or a communication network issue.

It would be advisable to have a proper test plan carried out using the factory BMW scan tool to further narrow down the cause.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your repairs.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did use bmw DIS and got the same codes from egs
incorrect 4th ratio code 54 bmw code
Engine intervention code 145 bmw code
Unfortunately, in my experience, code like that are pointing towards a failed, or failing transmission. The first step would be to perform a proper transmission fluid service. This will give you a chance to observe the condition of the fluid and filter and will give you a better picture of what might be wrong. I would also try recoding and possibly updating the EGS module as long as you have the ability to do so. Failing that I'm afraid you will have to start looking for a new transmission.

Sorry for the bad news, please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions!

Thanks and good luck,

-Brendan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is Replacing the egs module an option?
It is, but only if the old module won't take the coding/upgrade. In my experience transmission failure is more common.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

alright, I'm starting by doing a complete flush to the old Transmission oil, dropping the pan and new gasket of course.

My question is how to drain the torque converter? Pictures will be helpful if you can

I would also plan to replace the transmission filter as well! Unfortunately there is no good way to drain the torque converter without removing the transmission so you'll just have to go the normal route. I always remove the filler plug first so that if there's an issue I'll know about it before I've emptied the transmission and have no way to fill it! Then you can open the drain plug and when it's done draining remove the pan. The filter is just press-fit into the bottom of the transmission and is held in with it's gaskets, make sure you completely remove the old ones before installing the new filter!

Everything else is pretty straightforward. Fill the trans as much as you can and then start the engine. Immediately continue filling the trans until it starts to run back out of the fill hole. Leave the plug out for now. Then cycle through PRND a few times slowly (pause a few seconds in each) with your foot on the brake. When the trans fluid reaches 30˚C (between 30˚ and 50˚C is the range) you can replace the fill plug if there's still fluid dripping out. Use your scan tool to check the trans fluid temp.

I hope that helps! Please leave me a positive rating when you can!

~Brendan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have DIS, and INPA, where can i see the tranny temperature there?
I'm unfamiliar with those systems but exactly but you should be able to see a page for the transmission operating data and one of the lines of data on there will be "Transmission Oil Temp."

Thanks and good luck, please don't forget to leave me a positive rating as it's the only way I receive credit for my answer!

~Brendan
Brendan Block, BMW Technician
Experience: I have been a BMW Technician for nearly 10 years and specialize in engine conversions, brake upgrades and race car preparation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, Today ABS light came one

code as follow

DME Error managment EGS
Engine cut off time

EGS Gear check 4
CAN Moment reduction
Gear check 5
CAN Wheel speed

ABS Wheel speed sensor front left extrapolation.

my last thought after your Answer is that the Transmission is failing/ or failed

Sadly yes, I'm going to have to go with my first guess on that and agree with you... The wheel speed sensor could indeed be bad and the other codes might not be tripping the light but either way it sounds terminal for the transmission.

Sorry for the bad news!

~Brendan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so replacing the front left sensor wont change transmission behavior?

Unfortunately no. I'd clear the codes out and go for a test drive and see what comes back. Wheel speed sensors are known to glitch out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is wheel speed sensor (front left) relevant to EGS?

I know (rear left) is crucial for Cluster speed. Is that true?