BMWDoc
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with BMW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.

BMW 325Ci: My 2001 bmw 325ci will not shift gears while the

My 2001 bmw 325ci will not shift gears while the engine is on.
Category: BMW
Expert:  BMWDoc replied 1 year ago.

BMWDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

BMWDoc :

Ok, so manual transmission. Push clutch in, but cannot shift into gear, correct?

Customer:

correct

BMWDoc :

And the brake fluid level has not dropped?

Customer:

no it is at max

BMWDoc :

Ok, this is unfortunately going to require transmission removal, as it sounds like there is a mechanical failure. Possible damage release bearing or pressure plate

BMWDoc :

how many miles on the car, and is it on the original clutch?

Customer:

third owner and about 130k

BMWDoc :

ok, so you may not have clutch replacement history information

Customer:

not likely to be a slave cylinder?

BMWDoc :

with the fluid level staying constant, that is extremely unlikely. Easy enough to remove/inspect/replace, but it's very doubtful that it's failed

Customer:

I can shift gears while it is off

BMWDoc :

Yes, that makes sense. That can be done in practically any manual transmission car with the engine off, and clutch not depressed

Customer:

so what is it not doing as far as you are consern

BMWDoc :

The pressure plate is not releasing the clutch disc completely when you step on the clutch pedal, either due to a failed throwout bearing or broken pressure plate

Customer:

is this common

BMWDoc :

on a car with these miles, if the clutch assembly is original, yes, common

Customer:

what parts are needed for this repair

BMWDoc :

Clutch kit, which will include the clutch disc, throwout bearing and pressure plate

Customer:

not good, no other options huh

BMWDoc :

if both cylinders are holding fluid, unfortunately not

Customer:

thanks anyways

BMWDoc :

believe me, I understand that this wasn't the answer you were hoping for, but it's my duty to be as truthful as possible here, with the information I have

BMWDoc :

so, I suppose I ask that you please not shoot the messenger

Customer:

no problem

BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner
Experience: 20 years of experience working with BMW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.
Expert:  BMWDoc replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.