Brendan Block
Brendan Block, BMW Technician
Experience:  I have been a BMW Technician for nearly 10 years and specialize in engine conversions, brake upgrades and race car preparation.
74228754

z4: my bmw 2005 z4 wont start doesnt make a sound . turn key

my bmw 2005 z4 wont start doesnt make a sound . turn key everything lights up click headlights come on

Fidhle007 : Hi there, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a BMW tech!
Fidhle007 : It sounds like your starter solenoid has failed!
Fidhle007 : I know it seems like kind of a new car to be replacing the starter on but I've had a few customers with cars of the same era that have had starter failures.
Fidhle007 : Luckily on your engine the starter can be accessed from the top once you remove the intake manifold. It's not a simple job but it's a lot more straightforward than on previous generations.
Fidhle007 : Before you go tearing the car apart (or having a shop tear the car apart if that's your plan) I'd double check the EWS security system in the car. You'll need a BMW scan tool to do this, http://www.bimmershops.com is a good resource for locating local shops that specialize in BMWs. EWS is the internal security system that prevents the car from starting without the proper key. It stores a rolling code in your key every time you shut down the car and sometimes the codes can get "misaligned" do to a glitch or possibly low battery voltage.
Fidhle007 : You can have your system realigned by a BMW specialty shop but if you have a second key, try starting the car with that first. Sometimes keys go bad as well!
Fidhle007 : I'm going to switch us to Q&A format, if you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask!If I have been helpful please accept my answer and leave me a positive rating!Thanks and good luck!~Brendan