Brendan Block
Brendan Block, BMW Technician
Experience:  I have been a BMW Technician for nearly 10 years and specialize in engine conversions, brake upgrades and race car preparation.

X3: I just put a new battery in my 2004 X3 2.5. Now every time

I just put a new battery in my 2004 X3 2.5. Now every time I start the ignition, the OBC data (clock mpg mph , etc.) resets. What can cause this? Does the OBC need to be reset to recognize the battery. I have reset the data every time.But once I shut off the engine the next time I start it, everything needs to be reset again???

Fidhle007 : Hi there! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a BMW Tech.
Fidhle007 : On a lot of BMWs you will have to "register" a new battery to the car with a BMW or BMW-level scan tool.
Fidhle007 : Not doing so can cause issues with some of the computers because of the voltage difference and different charging speed of the new battery.
Fidhle007 : I would not be surprised at all if the OBC was experiencing issues due to it not being registered!
Fidhle007 : I hope that helps, please don't hesitate to ask any more questions!If you've found me helpful, please accept my answer and leave me a positive rating!Thanks and good luck!~Brendan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank You. How do I register the battery??