Brendan Block
Brendan Block, BMW Technician
Experience:  I have been a BMW Technician for nearly 10 years and specialize in engine conversions, brake upgrades and race car preparation.

328is: My 1998 BMW328is runs perfect. But recently it doesnt

My 1998 BMW328is runs perfect. But recently it doesn't crank when I turn the key until several tries (and not at all today). All of the electrical stuff seems to be at full power but the car won't crank. It seems to be related to the outdoor temperature. It has never happened on a cool day but when sitting in a parking lot for a day in 88F temp it just wont crank.
Please help me.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Brendan Block replied 1 year ago.

Fidhle007 :

Hi there! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'X a BMW tech.

Fidhle007 :

This sounds like your starter has failed, honestly. I'd try to locate a local BMW shop with good diagnostic capabilities though so they can rule out it being the other two possibilites which would be the EWS (internal security code system that prevents the car from starting without the key) and/or the ignition switch.

Fidhle007 :

Hopefully this is helpful! If so, please accept my answer and leave me a positive rating!

Fidhle007 :

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Fidhle007 :

~Brendan

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I alanyzed the differences in situations between when it does start dependably and when it does not. One primary difference is that I lock the car with the fob while at work and do not do so at home. It starts dependably at home but not at work.
So, after hours of turning the key hoping for a different result, I thought of pressing the Unlock on the fob another time. The car started on the very next turn. So my question now is. What could be causing the starting to be disabled even after a first press of the unlock but not after a second press?
That definitely sounds like an EWS alignment issue! Try to find a local shop with a BMW scan tool and see if they can re-align your EWS and your DME. You will probably want to order another key from the dealer as well just for peace of mind. Http://www.bimmershops.com is a great resource for finding local BMW specialists.

Thanks and good luck!

~Brendan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am acronym challenged. What is an EWS and a DME?

You should be aware that these ar totally foreign to many of your non-dealer customers.
The EWS system is the internal security system I mentioned earlier. There is a RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) chip in your key and an antenna around the key slot on the ignition. Every time you shutdown your car the EWS module stores a code between your key and the car and if these codes should become misaligned the DME (Engine Control Module) will prevent the car from starting. This is a fairly complex system which is why I'm suggesting enlisting the assistance of someone with a BMW diagnostic computer.
Brendan Block, BMW Technician
Experience: I have been a BMW Technician for nearly 10 years and specialize in engine conversions, brake upgrades and race car preparation.