internal88
internal88, BMW Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Automotive Engineering Degree and also work for an Automotive engineering company since 2003.
63512786

745 li: My gas cap on my 2004 bmw 745 li had to be replaced

My gas cap on my 2004 bmw 745 li had to be replaced because of crack seal. The emmissions light came on before I had it fixed right after I filled my tank up. How long until the service engine soon light goes back off?

internal88 : Hello I'm Brandon , I will try my best to help you out.
internal88 : It take several cycles of on and off from the ignition. Usually it takes only several days 3-4 days for the light to shut off.
internal88 : Every time you start the engine the vehicle ECM received information from all the sensors. When the computer recognize the gas cap it's seal it will turn off the light.
internal88 : If the check engine light is still on after the fifth day. You should get it scan to see if there are new engine code exist.
internal88 : The code can be retrieved in any shops. Autozone can read the code for free or charge if you like.
internal88 : please let me know if I can help you further.
internal88 : I will change it to QA format.