Brendan Block
Brendan Block, BMW Technician
Experience:  I have been a BMW Technician for nearly 10 years and specialize in engine conversions, brake upgrades and race car preparation.
74228754

323i: Changed power steering pump in 2000 bmw 323i. Still not

Changed power steering pump in 2000 bmw 323i. Still not working and now car overheating. Changed steering rack too do to a wreck.

Fidhle007 :

Hi There! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a BMW Tech!

Fidhle007 :

There are two different pumps for your car, one is a higher pressure pump and is probably the one you need. I ran into this issue with a customer's 323i last year.

Fidhle007 :

As for overheating, I'd look elsewhere especially since it's been in a wreck.

Customer: Hi. My name isXXXXX if son Davey who wrecked this car 3 weeks ago. Do U have any idea what they might have done wrong putting new pump and pully in?
Fidhle007 :

Thermostats are common failure points on E46 cars and I'm starting to see radiators fail as well.

Fidhle007 :

Hi Nikki! How bad was the crash? Is everyone ok?

Customer: But it wasn't over heating till we changed pump?. U think because wrong pump in?
Customer: He was ok..:). But broke steering rack and bent the arm, which all been replaced too.
Fidhle007 :

Do you have the VIN of the car at hand?

Customer: I can get it
Fidhle007 :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be helpful!

Customer: Wbaan3340ync92530
Fidhle007 :

Thanks!

Fidhle007 :

One second...

Customer: We got pump from autozone. I told my son and his dad that I bet they have us wrong pump. His dad pretty good mechanic too. But he couldn't fig this out at all.. L
Customer: Did I give u correct vin?
Fidhle007 :

Yes, I'm just checking some part numbers

Customer: Ok thanks
Fidhle007 :

How quickly is the car overheating? Right away or is it just after driving a ways?

Customer: Just after driving it for a few. And he said fans running too. He changed oil and put new antifreeze in as well when he was done
Fidhle007 :

Ok, that's it!

Fidhle007 :

These cooling systems need to be bled in a specific order

Fidhle007 :

otherwise they trap air and will overheat which is probably what you're observing

Customer: I build Hondas here in Ohio. I tried to talk that boy out of this car. Told him it would be a pain in the butt to get parts and fix. But I guess I'm bias.. Lol
Fidhle007 :

Haha, and here I have no idea how to work on Hondas!

Fidhle007 :

Anyway, simple procedure:

Fidhle007 :

Remove the radiator cap and the large bleed screw next to it.

Fidhle007 :

Fill the expansion tank slowly until coolant pours out the bleed screw

Fidhle007 :

close said bleed screw.

Customer: Ok. While car running?
Fidhle007 :

No, with the car off.

Fidhle007 :

I'm sure there's a special tool for this but at my shop we use an old turkey baster to suck some coolant BACK OUT of the tank.

Fidhle007 :

Just until the little red float stick is just above the top of the cap.

Fidhle007 :

Then close the cap and go drive with the heat on. If the car doesn't make any heat, try it again!

Customer: Will this make power steering pump turn on?. Or u think they gave us wrong one?
Fidhle007 :

That's for the overheating. The power steering pump is probably the wrong one unfortunately.

Fidhle007 :

You're looking for either 32416760036 or 32411094965 BMW part #s

Fidhle007 :

and while you're in there I'd replace all the hoses as well if you haven't already

Customer: Ok. U have helped so much. Thank u., can I email this to my sons dads email so he can read it and understand it better than me.. Lol
Customer: All hoses which are?
Fidhle007 :

There's a link to the pump part numbers and some of the hoses as well

Customer: Are those part #'s for the pump we need?
Fidhle007 :

You'll have to cross reference which one came out, there are two and I can't tell you which one you need from here

Fidhle007 :

But if you can't figure it out, go for the Luk 30

Fidhle007 :

it's the more powerful one and probably the one that's supposed to be in the car.

Customer: Ok. I'm sure that's not to hard to fig out. I think I can handle that part. Lol Thank u
Fidhle007 :

Like I said, I had the same situation on a 323i last year. The pump failed, I replaced it and it didn't work. Ordered the more powerful one and it was golden!

Fidhle007 :

There's some more of the hoses

Customer: Good!. I hope that fixes it. Just hard cuz he works and football. And I work 2nd shift. And his dad always running my younger son. So him not having a car has been a pain..
Fidhle007 :

Between those two diagrams you should be able to cross-reference all the parts you'll need! And like I said, bleeding the coolant should help and if it doesn't, go after the thermostat. It is common to have them fail and they are easy to replace.

Fidhle007 :

Good luck, let me know how it goes! I know how it is to be stuck without a car!

Customer: I will. Appreciate it help!. Thanks again
Fidhle007 :

Thanks! Please don't forget to leave me a positive rating!

Fidhle007 :

If I have been helpful, please accept my answer and leave me a positive rating! If you have other questions I'd be happy answer them!

Fidhle007 :

Thanks and good luck! ~Brendan