Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

bmw 330i: what is the torque for the camshaft bearing caps

what is the torque for the camshaft bearing caps on a 2003 bmw 330i with the m54 engine

BMWDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

BMWDoc :

Depends on which bolts are being tightened. There are 3 different sizes

BMWDoc :

If its 6mm, then torque should be 10Nm
7mm = 14Nm

BMWDoc :

8mm = 20Nm

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how so i know the defference?,, i am using a 7/16 socket

the thread size needs to be measured. Also, best to have metric sockets so you don't strip them during torquing. The cam bearing caps are usually 13mm in these, which means that the thread is 8mm, which means 20Nm torque.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i was torqing to 10 ftlb and it was striping the bolts. i had to use a heli coil to fix the threads. i used a 7mmx1.0 heli coil. exactly what torque do u recomend. i don want to strip any more bolts

Bolts? The cam caps are held on by nuts that go onto studs here.

We're talking about the same thing?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes. but as i tightened the nuts, it pulled the studs out of the cylinder head. i then had to remove the stud fix the thread and replace the stud. i do not want to make the mistake again.

There may be other issues then, since 20Nm = 14 lb/ft

Make sure you're using a 1/4" torque wrench and 13mm socket for sure.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Hi, perhaps I can help. You have the 7mm studs so your cam bearing torque is 14 Nm or 10 ft. lbs. If your torque wrench is not accurate you can easily pull the studs when tightening to such a low torque. Also, if this motor has been overheated it's not unusual for the studs to pull when tightening the caps. If that is the case you will probably need to helicoil all of the holes. I'd consider a new torque wrench if you have any doubts about the one you are using or have not had it calibrated in some time and if the motor did indeed overheat I think you are going to need to helicoil all of the holes to be safe. Let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

im using a 1/2 drive torque wrench, that has a 10ftlb on it. do you think that the wrench is too big or should i consider a different torque wrench

Yes that torque wrench is way too big for the cam bearing caps. You should use a 1/4" or 3/8" torque wrench for this. The 1/2" drive torque wrench will not be accurate at 10 ft. lbs.
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.