BMWDoc
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with BMW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.

My 2009 bmw 528i rear heated window exploded. I had turned on the rear window heater and s

My 2009 bmw 528i rear heated window exploded. I had turned on the rear window heater and shortly thereafter I closed the front door and the window exploded. Cause???
Is this a manufacturers defect and should bmw cover it under extended warranty?
Category: BMW
Expert:  BMWDoc replied 1 year ago.

BMWDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

BMWDoc :

Looking up some information on this first

BMWDoc :

Ok, so there are definitely no BMW service bulletins related to this, but I'm checking other sources

BMWDoc :

how many miles are on the car, and have you owned it since new?

Customer:

Let me add that my car was not moving, I was in a parking lot with no other moving vehicles around me so it is impossible for a stray rock etc. to have caused the damage.

BMWDoc :

Good, I was going to ask that also

BMWDoc :

miles, and length of ownership please?

BMWDoc :

still with me? Not sure if you can read my responses here

BMWDoc :

if not, I'll convert to another format so we can continue

BMWDoc :

Ok, converting over now, as it seems like you may be having issue with live chat

BMWDoc :

Please do NOT rate the session yet, as I'm still gathering information

Expert:  BMWDoc replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your right, I am not use to chat so I did not see your questions.

The car has 52k on it and it was bought certified used from the dealer

Expert:  BMWDoc replied 1 year ago.
Car did have CPO warranty? That's good. When did that warranty expire, or it's still in place, and just not covering the damage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure what cpo is but I did purchase the extended warranty and it is still in place and the dealership said they never heard of this before and that it is not covered. My internet search has identified numerous reports of this problem over the years with different models but nothing so far on this model

Expert:  BMWDoc replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, CPO stands for Certified Pre-Owned.

So, yes, glass is specifically excluded from warranty coverage as noted under the "body and interior" heading here

However, all is not lost. You definitely have the option of calling BMW North America customer service and have them get a district service manager involved. Considering that you bought the car from an authorized BMW dealer, AND have had it serviced there, I have a feeling that they will contribute to the repair, if not cover it 100%, but a call from you is necessary.

Here is their contact information
Customer Relations:
1-800-831-1117 XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner
Experience: 20 years of experience working with BMW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.