BMWDoc
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with BMW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

325Ci: 2001 325Ci steptronic trans, converter dosent lock

2001 325Ci steptronic trans, converter dosen't lock up,try's to , but as soon I touch the gas it in locks. I red possible reprogramming may help. Has 75000 miles on it. Also do you think it's time for a filter/fluid change .Thanks!!

BMWDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

BMWDoc :

Ok, so let me try to get some clarification here

BMWDoc :

When you say the converter doesn't lock up, do you mean that when you put it into gear, the car doesn't move at all unless you press the throttle?

BMWDoc :

If this is the case, it's not going to be a reprogramming issue

BMWDoc :

But a fluid check is absolutely necessary before trying to drive the car anywhere

BMWDoc :

and fluid change/filter replacement will require a few things

BMWDoc :

1) a method of monitoring fluid temperature during the filling process
2) a fluid pump gun to fill it
3) proper BMW fluid from a dealer

BMWDoc :

Now, if fluid level is correct, and you're still experiencing this problem, then a computer scan using a BMW-specific scanner is absolutely necessary to retrieve fault codes from the transmission computer

BMWDoc :

a generic OBDII scanner will NOT do this

BMWDoc :

This is a very good, consumer level BMW scan tool

BMWDoc :

http://bavariantechnic.com/

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Lockup converter doesn't stay locked at highway speed. I know it is supposed to lock unlock according to engine load, but it engages the it disengages and stays disengaged.
Oh, now I understand. Then we're looking at one of three problems

1) fluid level
2) internal seal fault in the converter, causing fluid pressure to drop, and converter unlocking
3) solenoid fault in the valve body

If I were a betting man, based on my experience with these, I would suspect the converter first, but a fluid check isn't overly expensive to start with. Then scan.