Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican
14969438

X5 E53: I have two errors which are appearing in INPA. Can

I have two errors which are appearing in INPA. Can someone read these and tell me what I need to replace and what they mean?

E R R 0 R M E M 0 R Y
Date: 02/24/13 18:36:53
ECU: IKI
JobStatus: OKAY
Uariant: IKI
RESULT: 1 errors in error memory !
189 EBU
Error frequency : 51
Sporadic error
error external ECU
R E P 0 R T
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E R R 0 R ME~10RY
Date: 02/24/13 18:34:28
ECU: ME72KWP1
JobStatus: OKAY
Uariant: ME72KWP1
RESULT: 1 errors in error memory !
140 Output Thermostat Map cooling
Error frequency : 46
logistic counter: 39
Error occured 1. times at:
Engine speed
Engine temperature
Intake air temperature
Supply uoltage
Error occured 2. times at:
Engine speed
Engine temperature
Intake air temperature
Supply uoltage
Error occured 3. times at:
Engine speed
Engine temperature
R E P 0 R T
720.00
68.25
27.75
13.66
760.00
90.75
24.00
13.56
/min
Grd c
Grd c
u
/min
Grd C
Grd C
u
160.00 /min
108.00 Grd C
That is a very common fault on your model. You need a new thermostat.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok, thanks for the first one, what about the second one?

That fault is in the instrument cluster and if everything is working correctly it could just be a glitch or a communication fault, I wouldn't worry about it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just replaced my themostat and I still get the same error, what do you think is still wrong?

What fault came back?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

140 Output Thermostat Map cooling

Really, That is a thermostat fault I have seen it a thousand times. How long did it take to come back after clearing the faults?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

After I installed the thermostat and bleed the coolant I reset it all. Then I went for a drive and checked when I got back. I recieved the code then. I then reset it and went for another drive, when I got back I checked it again and it came back. Nothing on the dash, I receive the code using INPA and DIS. Any suggestions on what I can check next? I can also plug and grab another reading if you think the numbers in teh details will help.....

The details might help, how many times has it occurred? Have you checked again after clearing the faults. Maybe it isn't clearing the fault memory in the DME just a guess. Have you tried to clear them with a generic scanner? Maybe you can go for two or three drive cycles to see if the check engine light will come on? I am thinking maybe it needs to run a test on it to verify correct operation. I can say I haven't reread the faults after a repair so I don't think this is normal but I also haven't experienced it before either.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I ran the car a couple times to tthe store and cleared before each trip. This is what I got back from INPA and DIS.

E R R 0 R MEMORY
Date: 03/02/13 18:30:19
ECU: 11E72KWP1
JobStatus: OKAY
Uariant: ME72KWP1
RESULT: 1 errors in error memory !
140 Output Thermostat 11ap cooling
Error frequency : 2
Logistic counter: 40
Error occured 1. times at:
Engine speed
Engine temperature
Intake air temperature
Supply uoltage
Error occured 2. times at:
Engine speed
Engine temperature
Intake air temperature
Supply uoltage
Error currently auailable
Error tested
REPORT
600.00
90.00
48.75
13.75
600.00
90.00
48.75
13.47
/min
Grd C
Grd C
u
/min
Grd C
Grd C
u

Error tested
Signal-/Path discontinuity current,
Signal-/Path discontinuity Initial,
Fault sporadic

and in DIS:

Contents of defect code memories
(not selectable or deletable)
DME - SC DME: Activation, map cooling
INSTRUMENT- BD IKE: Electronic braking-force distribution
Accepted symptoms

I think you have got a faulty thermostat. Did you use a OEM part?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I did, could it be the wiring? If so how do I check?

I would check the connector to make sure it fully seated on the thermostat. And check the pins. If that all looks ok I would check for voltage at the connector which should always be there and the DME controls the ground for the circuit and switches it on via ground.

Here is some info on it, maybe it will help.

2003 BMW X5 4.4i (E53) V8-4398cc 4.4L DOHC (M62 TU)

Vehicle » Engine, Cooling and Exhaust » Cooling System » Thermostat » Description and Operation
  • Description and Operation

Functional Description

See: Powertrain Management\Description and Operation\Engine Management (DME Motor Electronics ME7.2)\Digital Motor Electronics\Sensors\Characteristic Map, Cooling

Description and Operation

ENGINE THERMOSTAT

There are two types of thermostats in BMW cars, the mechanical type, arid the type that is electrically heated. Both are designed to bring the temperature of the coolant up to operating temperature quickly.

When the engine is cold, the thermostat is closed; in the closed position, it sends coolant from the engine back to the engine, through a bypass; as a result, the coolant temperature rises quickly. As the coolant reaches the rated temperature, the thermostat gradually opens, to allow coolant to flow from the engine to the radiator.

ELECTRONICALLY HEATED THERMOSTAT

The heated thermostat is both a conventionally functioning and ECM controlled thermostat (two stage operation).

ECM control causes the thermostat to open sooner than the mechanical thermostat rating. This provides sufficient cooling for full load and high output conditions.

CONVENTIONAL FUNCTION

The thermostat begins to open at 103°C . This is at the inlet side of the water pump and represents the temperature of the coolant entering the engine.

Before the 103°C temperature is realized, the coolant is circulated through the engine block by the water pump.

After the temperature reaches 103°C it is maintained as the inlet temperature by the thermostat. The coolant temperature at the water pump engine outlet is approximately 110°C . The additional 7°C is achieved after the coolant has circulated through the block.

The operating temperature of the engine will remain within this range as long as the engine is at part load conditions.

ECM CONTROLLED FUNCTION

The map controlled heater in the thermostat will switch ON under the following conditions:

• Load signal "ti" > 5.8 ms
  • Engine temperature "tm" > 113°C
  • Intake air temp> 52°C
  • Vehicle speed> 110 mph

When the heating element is switched ON, the thermostat is heated higher than the temperature of the coolant.

The thermostat opens sooner causing additional coolant to circulate through the radiator which brings the temperature down.

The temperature of the coolant at the inlet side of the water pump will drop to approximately 85°C and the temperature at the outlet side of the water pump will drop to approximately 103°C .

NOTE:

• If the coolant temperature is below 85°C , the heater will not switch on for any condition.
  • The display characteristics of the temperature gauge in the instrument cluster have been calibrated to the higher engine temperatures.