BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with BMW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.

7501: I have a 2007 bMW 750I. Always serviced at the dealership

I have a 2007 bMW 750I. Always serviced at the dealership & most recently 2 months ago. Question: last night my 'low coolant' level light came on and also warning about over heating engine. Pulled over let sit and then found a store and poured 1 1/2 gallon of coolant (50/50 grade). Continued to my distantation. About two hours later same thing happen. I found a store open and put 2 more gallons of coolant and saw coolant fill to top. If this happens again today. Does this mean I have a leak? There's no sign of leaking fluid anywhere. Thanks

BMWDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

BMWDoc :

Yes, this should be a closed system, which means that if you keep having to add coolant, you definitely have a leak.

BMWDoc :

Now, here's a compounding problem. The coolant that you used, if it's not BMW coolant from a dealer, is not compatible with your cooling system

BMWDoc :

I strongly suggest not driving the car, as if it continues to overheat, the resulting engine damage can cost you thousands of dollars

BMWDoc :

I'll hold chat open to see if you're able to respond

Customer: Thank you. I'll have to take it to the dealership this week then. I haven't driven it today yet to see if coolant still stays low. Unless, I can find a quick oil change service place that hopefully Carey's BMW rated coolant .
BMWDoc :

Unfortunately, in about 99% of cases, only the dealer will carry the proper coolant