BMWDoc
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with BMW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

x5: I have a 2003 x5 bmw 3.0... Rear tires are wearing on inside.

I have a 2003 x5 bmw 3.0... Rear tires are wearing on inside. Is that an adjustment to realign or is rear air shocks not working? Lights on dash for shocks is not on. Can't find air pump for shocks. Can't find control unit in rear luggage compartment where it is supposed to be.
Category: BMW
Expert:  BMWDoc replied 1 year ago.

BMWDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

BMWDoc :

If the air suspension light is not on, then the system is working normally

BMWDoc :

There are alignment adjustments for the rear wheels on these, and that is likely all that is needed

BMWDoc :

here are the specifications for the rear alignment for when you bring it in

BMWDoc :

Total toe0°18' ±10'
Camber (Difference between left/right max. 15')-1°50' ±20'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You didn't answer where the self control module unit is located. Cannot find it by the spare tire or battery. And air pump is not where it is supposed to be by the spare tire.

Expert:  BMWDoc replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, didn't realize that you were still looking for it, as I'm not sure why that would be important, since there's likely not a problem with it from what you describe.

However, depending on the type of air ride you have, it can be in one of two locations

Here:

Or here:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had the glove box open where the fuses are. Is that the right spot or how do I get at it?

Expert:  BMWDoc replied 1 year ago.
It's behind there, but you will need to remove the glove box to access it. I'm still curious why though. If there's any sort of issue with the controller, it will require a BMW-specific scan tool to communicate with it through the diagnostic port.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's just that many pictures in the manual do not actually match my car. If there are different versions of the manual, the one I have doesn't show me my exact car and it drives me crazy to locate things. Thank you for your time.

Expert:  BMWDoc replied 1 year ago.
Very glad to help. And no disrespect intended for my questions back to you, I was just genuinely curious how an alignment question turned into a control unit hunt.

If you're satisfied with the session, please don't forget to rate appropriately before logging off. Thanks

Jason
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner
Experience: 20 years of experience working with BMW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.