BMWDoc
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with BMW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

330i: I have a 2003 BMW 330i. I have a nagging oil leak coming

I have a 2003 BMW 330i. I have a nagging oil leak coming from somewhere below the intake manifold. The oil tends to pool around the deep waffled reassess of the engine block cast and nowhere else. I changed the ccv after i discovered that it was drawing oil into the intake manifold about a year ago and thought that would also fix the problem. I keep the engine pretty clean and there are no leaks anywhere else. The irony here is that I check the oil regularly and don't seem to be losing any oil.

BMWDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

BMWDoc :

Good to hear that you replaced the separator already...

BMWDoc :

I'm 95% positive that your leak is coming from the oil filter housing to block gasket

BMWDoc :

extremely common oil leak area on any M54 engine

BMWDoc :

I'll hold chat open if you have any questions about it

BMWDoc :

Ah, looks like you made it into chat

Customer:

Is this a DIY fix or should I take it to a mechanic?

BMWDoc :

Well, that one is somewhat impossible for me to answer, as I don't know your mechanical abilities. It's about a 4 hour job for a DIYer, and on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the most difficult fix, I'd place this at a 6 or so

BMWDoc :

Air filter box, alternator, power steering pump, belt, and left side belt accessory bracketry needs to be removed to access the filter housing bolts

BMWDoc :

here is the gasket

Full Size Image

Customer:

Well, I replaced the oil separator myself along with the valve cover gasket and would rate the oil separator and removal and cleaning of the intake system a 9-10. I have the proper tools as well as a lift.

BMWDoc :

if you did the separator, then this will be easy for you. Hate to offer this in hindsight, but the separator is ridiculously easy once the filter housing is off. I usually try to sell both jobs together, and save a lot of labor for my customers that way

BMWDoc :

Remove fan shroud, belt, alternator, PS pump with bracket, and you're staring at the filter housing

BMWDoc :

I'm sure you'll do fine

Customer:

Will do, Thanks for your help.