JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs Experience; ASE Master Technician; ASE L1 Certified
31247390

I have a 2006 BMW 325I with the trouble codes P0175, P0172

I have a 2006 BMW 325I with the trouble codes P0175, P0172 and P1424. I do not know what the codes are. Can you help, do you have the fix for these codes? Thank you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,

Is this an E46 or E90 body style? If you are unsure please provide the last 7 digits of the VIN of the vehicle so I can check.

Thanks, JP
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

last 7 are KX69352

Hi Rem,

You have an E90 body style vehicle. Those fault codes indicate that the air/fuel mixture to the engine is too lean. This means that there is more air than there should be present in the mixture.

The common causes of this problem are; a leak in the intake system, such as a rubber boot or gasket; failing fuel injectors; and a faulty mass air flow sensor.

You need to first check the intake system for leaks, as this is the most common of issues on your engine. This is done using a smoke machine, which fills the intake system with smoke, to determine if there is a leak anywhere. If you do not have one, I would recommend having the vehicle serviced by your local repair shop, as this is the first step in determining where the leak is.

One quick thing you can check though, is make sure that the oil filler cap is on correctly/ tight. I have seen multiple occurrences where a customer has there oil service performed by a quick lube shop, and they don't correctly reinstall the oil filler cap. This will also cause your service engine soon light with those fault codes that you have,.

Please be sure to leave positive feedback, as this is the ONLY way I receive credit for my work and time.

Thanks, JP
Experience: 10 yrs Experience; ASE Master Technician; ASE L1 Certified