JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs Experience; ASE Master Technician; ASE L1 Certified

BMW 525i: 2003 525i bmw smokes once in a while from tail pipes

2003 525i bmw smokes once in a while from tail pipes and smells like oil what could the problem be and approx. repair costs
If you are seeing smoke from the tailpipe, this is more than likely the crankcase ventilation valve that has failed. Under normal operation, the valve is what separates the crankcase vapors and engine oil; and burns the vapors while draining the oil back into the oil pan. When this valve sticks, it causing the engine vacuum to suck engine oil into the engine where it would typically just burn the vapors. Because it is now burning oil, hence the smoke you are seeing out of the tailpipe.

The crankcase vent valve (also called the cyclone separator) will need to be replace along with all the plastic pipes that attach to it, because they will not be able to be reused due to being so brittle. The approximate repair cost for this replacement is between $600-800 depending on if you go through the dealer for repairs or an independent repair shop (the dealer obviously the more expensive of the two).

Hope this helps, please be sure to leave positive feedback, as this is the ONLY way I receive credit for my work and time.

Thanks, JP