Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

1998 BMW 528i: door locks just stopped working remotely from the key

Have a 1998 BMW 528i and the door locks just stopped working remotely from the key. I was told there are 2 amplifiers (receivers) in the car. Where are these located? Or what else could be the problem?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today. Does the central locking button in the car still work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it does.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
what about when you turn the key in the door, does it open all locks?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the key in the door lock opens and locks all four doors.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
do you have the last 7 digits of the vin available?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
WBW34204
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

Before reading my answer below, please note that I do not receive any credit or compensation whatsoever for my time and effort until you take appropriate action to close out your question and ensure I am compensated from the deposit you have paid.

Just answer is an honor system. Thank you.

check fuses 21, 48 and 53

there are two possible remote locations, one is in the mirror and the other by the rear window. yours should be by the rear window

you can also try to re-sync the keys

I have uploaded all salient info: CLICK HERE and then press "download"

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

Best wishes to you and best of luck with your vehicle

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried reprogramming the keys per the instructions, did not help. The fuse numbers are different than the fuse numbers listed in the car for the cental locking system. Don't have fuse numbers as high as #48 or #53. The fuses listed in the car looked fine. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

hi again, please note that I do not receive any credit or compensation whatsoever for my time and effort until you take appropriate action to close out your question and ensure I am compensated from the deposit you have paid.

those fuses are located behind the trim panel in the right rear of the trunk. check them.

if the fuses check out then most likely it is the receiver, per your question, per the information I posted.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to take correct action to complete our question. Thanks

Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert