Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2001 525i: oil leak..exhaust..burnt engine oil emanating..Smoke

BMW 2001 525i We have an oil leak somewhere in the rear of the engine which seems to be leaking onto thr exhaust pipes. Every time the car comes to a halt there is the smell of burnt engine oil emanating from the front. Smoke is also coming out of th engine bay when stopping at the traffic lights. Have tried to have it fixed but last mechanic told me not to come back as he didn't know how to rectify the problem.
Any ideas please?
Regards, Bill.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.
PLEASE NOTE THAT EXPERTS ARE ONLY COMPENSATED WHEN THE ACCEPT BUTTON IS PRESSED

.

JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND EXPERTS ARE ONLY COMPENSATED WHEN THE ACCEPT BUTTON IS PRESSED

.

EVEN IF YOU ARE ON A SUBSCRIPTION WITH UNLIMITED OR MULTIPLE QUESTIONS ACCEPT STILL NEEDS TO BE CLICKED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

THANK YOU

*

*

*

*

Before reading my answer below, please note that I do not receive any credit or compensation whatsoever for my time and effort until the green ACCEPT button is pressed. Thank you.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

most commonly this engine will leak from the valve cover gasket or timing covers.

I would find a better mechanic, an oil leak should not defeat him. He obviously is not too worried about your business if his answer is that he can't fix it. Take it elsewhere, to a dealer even if need be, but you need to get this fixed soon based upon the smoke situation you have described.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

Best wishes to you and best of luck with your vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<

thank you in advance.

Steve