redrkt535
redrkt535, BMW Technician
Experience:  i own a bmw specialty shop doing bmws exclusively for 25 years
66170815

2004 bmw 525i: give meaning for this dtc .

Customer Question

2004 bmw 525i transmission dtc 4f8f.please give meaning for this dtc .
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

hi, can you please confirm the exact code and what scanner was used to retrieve it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello this car was diagnostic with g-scan tool , the tool give meaning as gear monitoring ratio 3-2 shift . i have two cars with same dtc 4f8f , egs module updated with autologic tool. thanks .

Expert:  redrkt535 replied 2 years ago.
hey this is ed and i can help you out with this problem, could i have the last 7 of your vin please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hello , this car is a RHD /UK MODEL. CANNOT GET VIN NUMBER NOW .
Expert:  redrkt535 replied 2 years ago.

alright let me tell you that the fault you have is for the 3rd gear shift solenoid. i find it unlikely that the solenoid on both cars you own, have the same problem. i would be more likely to think and look at the mechatronic sleeve, which is a fancy name for a plastic transmission connector. these ARE very problematic on all of the later model bmw's. i would have someone, or you look at this. you need to get the car in the air, and there is about a 27mm plastic sleeve coming out of the front passenger side of the transmission, that has a bunch of little electrical connections going through it. if you unplug the connector, you can tell if any transmission fluid is leaking out of it. if so you need to replace the mechatronic sleeve. part number is 24347588725 and list price is $19.24. when doing this you need to catch any fluid that drains out of the transmission and KEEP it. when finished pump that fluid back into the transmission, and top off the transmission with new fluid, which is bmw number 83220142516 and list price is $31.76 per liter. this fluid is shell m1375.4 oil and is special to the vehicle. hopefully this information is helpful to you. thanks in advance ed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HELLO IF YOU NOTE THE TRANSMISSION HAS MORE THAN ONE SOLENIOD FOR THIRD GEAR APPLICATION .BOTH OF THE CARS HAVE THE SAME DTC 4F8F , ASE/MASTER.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
REMEMBER THIS TRANSMISSION IS ZF-6HP-19
Expert:  redrkt535 replied 2 years ago.
yes, i will unfortunately have to get back to you in the am with more info on zf. thanks again ed.
Expert:  redrkt535 replied 2 years ago.
hey again sorry but i couldn't find anything in print that bmw has about that fault. unfortunately bmw doesn't allow us much in the automatic transmission rebuild/repair procedures, as we usually do not go into the transmissions too often. sorry i couldn't be of more assistance. thanks again ed
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!