Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2001 BMW x5 4.4i: My windows and sunroof open..car is parked

My windows and sunroof open by themselves when car is parked? What's wrong with my car? 2001 BMW x5 4.4i
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today. Do you have the diamond shaped key fob?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

*

*

*

*

PLEASE NOTE THAT EXPERTS ARE NOT COMPENSATED UNTILL ACCEPT IS PRESSED

.

JUST ANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND THE ACCEPT BUTTON IS HOW EXPERTS ARE COMPENSATED

*

*

*

*

Before reading my answer below, please note that the green "ACCEPT" button is the only way I receive credit for my time and effort.

Just Answer is an honor system. Thank you.

There are two things that may be going on here.

1) If you press and hold the unlock button on your key, this will open your windows and sun roof. So, possibly, if you sat on the key or pressed it unintentionally, this could be the cause.

The other, more likely possibility is the following. The other way that you can open the windows and sunroof is by turning and holding the mechanical key in the door. This activates a switch which causes the windows and sun roof to open. It is know/common that the switch in the door shorts out and sends and erroneous "open the windows and sunroof" signal even though you are not holding the key in the door. This would require that the drivers door lock be replaced to rectify. This is most likely your issue.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything.

Best wishes to you and best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Here's the strange part. I wasn't touching the key at all. Nor did I stick the mechanical key in door.
First time I was watching tv, key was laying on table across the room. Second time we had gone to dinner, and key was in wife's purse. About an hour later, come out to find the car all opened up.
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.
Hi again,

Please do not forget to click "ACCEPT" as this is the only way I am credited for my answer. I am not credited or compensated in any way until "ACCEPT" is pressed.

Justanswer is an honor system. Thank you.

Right, then as I explained it is the switch in the door shorting out and sending the signal that the key is being turned when it is not. I am not sure what is unclear.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

If I have answered your question, I would kindly ask that you please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I receive credit for doing so.

thank you in advance.

Steve