Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

318i: I change the cel (Check Engine Light) bulb

How do I change the CEL (Check Engine Light) bulb on my 318i (1998)???

Thanks.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

E36 3 Series

The instrument cluster will need to be recoded after it has been removed. A BMW dealer or qualified shop will be able to perform this function. Check on the availability of this service before disconnecting the instrument cluster.

1. Turn the ignition switch to OFF .
  2. Remove the steering wheel(Disarm the SRS and disconnect the negative battery terminal. Remove the lower steering column trim or the small panel and disconnect the orange connector. Use tool 00 2 110 or equivalent, to remove the air bag module bolts from behind the steering wheel. Remove the air bag module and disconnect the wire on the back. Place the air bag module in the trunk with the pad facing up. Unlock the steering column with the ignition key. Turn the steering wheel to the straight position. Hold the steering wheel and remove the nut from the steering shaft. Mark the relationship of the steering wheel to the shaft and pull the steering wheel off the shaft.)
  3. Remove the instrument cluster mounting screws.
  4. Protect the top of the steering column and tilt the instrument cluster down. Pull the cluster out.
  5. Push the levers forward to disconnect the plugs. Remove the instrument cluster.
  6. With the levers out, connect the plugs and lock into place. Install the instrument cluster and the steering wheel.

If you dont want to have to take to dealer to recode, you will only be able to pull the cluster out partway and then have to reach around to removed bulb and install new one

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
here you go:

E36 3 Series

1. Turn the ignition switch to OFF .