Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

BMW 325i: 2002 325i 3 series: turning over fine but not starting.

2002 325i 3 series: turning over fine but not starting. All lights still come on. Shut off about a week ago while I was at a red light and would not start again until an hour later.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today. So the starter motor spins but the car will not start? Is that correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes correct
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.
PLEASE NOTE THAT EXPERTS ARE ONLY COMPENSATED WHEN THE ACCEPT BUTTON IS PRESSED

.

JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND EXPERTS ARE ONLY COMPENSATED WHEN THE ACCEPT BUTTON IS PRESSED

.

EVEN IF YOU ARE ON A SUBSCRIPTION WITH UNLIMITED OR MULTIPLE QUESTIONS ACCEPT STILL NEEDS TO BE CLICKED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

THANK YOU

*

*

*

*

Before reading my answer below, please note that I do not receive any credit or compensation whatsoever for my time and effort until the green ACCEPT button is pressed. Thank you.

the vehicle is not starting because it is not getting spark or not getting fuel.

No spark would most commonly be caused by a bad crank sensor, bad main relay or bad engine control unit.

No fuel would be caused by a blown fuel pump fuse, bad fuel pump relay (rare), or bad fuel pump.

Depending on your abilities and equipment/tools, you may or may not be able to diagnose further.

The simplest thing to do (after checking the fuel pump fuse) would be to spray quick start / starter fluid into the intake (carefully) while cranking. If the engine starts on this, then you have spark and the problem lies with fuel delivery and can be further traced from there.

Another check would be for power at the fuel pump, and to see if it is running or not. If power is present and it is not running, it is confirmed as having failed.

If I had to give a guess, I would say it is likely a bad fuel pump.

If you are not comfortable or familiar with the above then the testing should be carried out professionally.

hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with your vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<

thank you in advance.

Steve