Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

BMW 328i: my 1997 bmw 328i is heating up. there is no heat.

my 1997 bmw 328i is heating up. there is no heat. antifreezee level was low and the vehicle has been sitting for a few months. Is this any airlock or a stuck thermostat/
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

is the anti freeze still low?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I topped up the antifreeze and it didn't help
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

how quickly does it overheat?

there is no heat inside the cabin?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I haven't driven the car for about 5months. I let the car warm up went and put gas in it. the gauge read half. when i started to drive the temp went right to hot. 10 mins
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there was no heat the whole time
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
PLEASE NOTE THAT EXPERTS ARE ONLY COMPENSATED WHEN THE ACCEPT BUTTON IS PRESSED

.

JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND EXPERTS ARE ONLY COMPENSATED WHEN THE ACCEPT BUTTON IS PRESSED

.

EVEN IF YOU ARE ON A SUBSCRIPTION WITH UNLIMITED OR MULTIPLE QUESTIONS ACCEPT STILL NEEDS TO BE CLICKED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

THANK YOU

*

*

*

*

Before reading my answer below, please note that I do not receive any credit or compensation whatsoever for my time and effort until the green ACCEPT button is pressed. Thank you.

sounds like potential air in the system. I would be sure to vent/bleed it all out

if you are positive all air is out, then it could be the waterpump or thermostat, or possibly a head gasket issue. this is not likely but is easy to test for with a kit from a parts store that tests for combustion gases in the cooling system.

the bleeding proceedure is:

Turn the ignition on but engine off. Turn the heat on full max hot with the fan set to low.

On the top of the expansion tank and/or in one of the hoses is a bleeder screw. Remove this screw and fill the tank up until fluid spills out of this bleeder hole.

Continue pouring until no air bubbles whatsoever come out of the bleeder hole as the coolant overflows out.

Next, reinstall and tighten the bleeder screw and then turn the car on and let it warm up to operating temp with the heater on in the passenger compartment to full blast.

Then, let it fully cool and top up the coolant tank until full. You may want to repeat a few times to make sure all air is out

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with your vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<

thank you in advance.

Steve

Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert